Provost & Pritchard provides engineering and consulting solutions for the needs of water and irrigation districts, and municipal agencies throughout California. We specialize in funding assistance, feasibility studies, design and construction services for water treatment, pipelines, storage facilities, water transfers, groundwater banking, modernization and conservation projects.
Water resources-related specialty areas include:
- Funding Application Assistance
- District Engineering & Management
- Groundwater (Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, Wells, Monitoring, Geology & Hydrogeology)
- Surface Water (Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program, Conveyance, Control Structures, & Irrigation Distribution Systems)
Funding Application Assistance
Provost & Pritchard staff has been successful in preparing and securing funding for many clients over the years. The amount of funds we have obtained for water districts and private water companies, are in the tens of millions of dollars. Grant writing and administration has been a hallmark of the services that Provost & Pritchard provides. Our staff is skilled at matching client needs with funding opportunities. This unique ability has provided a high success rate in securing funding for municipal and agricultural infrastructure projects.
Provost & Pritchard provides sound engineering solutions to municipalities and other public agencies for their infrastructure needs. Serving as a consultant or extension of staff, we understand the challenges facing public works departments and have helped clients on a variety of successful projects.
Public works-related specialty areas include:
- Funding Application Assistance
- Water (Wells, Treatment, Pipelines, Metering, Storage)
- Wastewater (Treatment & Disposal, Collection Systems, Regulatory Permitting)
- Streets and Trails
- Storm Water (Collection, Reuse/Recharge)
On-call Engineering Services Overview
Provost & Pritchard has an extensive history of providing on-call services to cities, counties, and districts throughout the San Joaquin Valley. Small agencies have a need for engineering support just as large agencies do; however, the needs of small agencies often varies over time and their limited budgets don’t allow for hiring of staff engineers. As part of our on-call services contracts, Provost & Pritchard staff acts as an extension of agency staff, developing relationships and an understanding of their unique communities and needs. The services provided vary depending on the needs of the agencies, and we are able to draw on our collective experiences with all our partnering agencies to serve each one well.
Funding Application Assistance
Grant writing and administration is a hallmark service provided by Provost & Pritchard. Our staff is skilled at matching client’s needs with funding opportunities. This unique ability has provided a high success rate in securing funding for municipal infrastructure projects, including water, wastewater and roads projects. In addition, we provide grant administration services including reporting and reimbursement claim preparation.
While Provost & Pritchard offers a broad range of engineering and consulting services, our water treatment group are among the most qualified in the nation to treat a wide range of contaminants in groundwater. Since 2014, the team has worked on more than 50 groundwater treatment plant designs and studies including projects involving design of iron assisted coagulation-filtration and adsorptive media for the removal of arsenic, ion exchange for the removal of uranium, and dozens of GAC treatment plants to mitigate TCP and other Volatile or Synthetic Organic Compounds. Our water treatment team has helped communities across California mitigate the following contaminants so they may supply safe, reliable drinking water:
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Hydrogen Sulfide
- 1,2,3-trichloropropane (TCP)
- 1,2-dibromo-3-chlororopropane (DBCP)
- Trichloroethylene (TCE)
- Perchloroethylene (PCE)
- Total Organic Carbon / Disinfection Byproducts
Agricultural & Dairy
California’s agricultural industry is a world leader in food and fiber production. Provost & Pritchard is proud to provide agricultural engineering and consulting to support dairies, growers, ranchers, and food processors throughout Central California and beyond.
Provost & Pritchard has the qualifications and practical on-farm experience to provide the necessary guidance and expertise on agricultural projects. Our team consists comprehensive and interdisciplinary professionals such as licensed agricultural engineers, professional soil scientists, certified crop advisers, and agricultural scientists. We understand farming and associated environmental and regulatory challenges facing farmers. We work for several agricultural water quality coalitions, individual farming operations, and related agricultural entities. Some of the services we provide include:
- Nutrient management
- On-farm sediment and erosion control
- Irrigation water management and Distribution Uniformity (DU) evaluations
- Salinity management
- Regulatory compliance for the Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (ILRP) in the Central Valley of California and the Irrigated Lands Program (ILP) on the Central Coast of California
- Agricultural due diligence and resource assessments
- Grant funding
- Soil permeability testing
- Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
From permitting to full dairy layout and design, Provost & Pritchard staff understands that meeting state and local regulations is critical to success in today’s dairy industry. Regulatory requirements from the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board, San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District and counties have caused the need for expertise to facilitate the design of a dairy. We have that broad range of expertise and experience, and can help with the following items:
- Storage pond capacity evaluations / Waste Management Plan’s
- Lined pond design, new lagoon integration into the dairy and irrigation systems
- Liner Construction Quality Assurance oversight and reporting
- Freestalls / loafing barns / open corrals
- Weeping wall manure separation
- Sand removal lanes
- Permitting (Water Board, Air Board, County)
Food Processing and Winery Services
Combining experience with our environmental, agronomy, water treatment, and dairy staff, we provide expertise in food processing and winery wastewater issues. Some of the services we provide include:
- Winery General Order
- Permitting and preparation of Reports of Waste Discharge
- Lined storage pond design, survey, and construction management
- Nutrient, irrigation, and salinity management planning
- Ongoing monitoring and reporting
- Groundwater monitoring wells
- Water and Wastewater treatment, pretreatment screening and filtration
- Subsurface disposal systems (septic systems)
- Industrial Stormwater General Permit management and compliance
- Environmental planning, CEQA, and County Use Permitting
- Determination of land application acreage requirements and agronomic consulting
- Pond and land percolation testing
- Long-term compliance record keeping, data management, and GIS mapping
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group understands the complex interaction of governmental and environmental regulations, neighborhood considerations and site conditions in today’s land development arena. We will provide you with professional services and strategies born of successful efforts in many jurisdictions, helping you keep your project on track. Services include:
- Land and infrastructure master planning
- Residential and commercial site development
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Entitlements and permitting
- Land surveying and mapping
- Infrastructure engineering
- Water supply assessments
- Construction management
Staff at Provost & Pritchard have developed a niche partnering with health care entities to improve their campuses. Our services have included site development for new buildings and building expansions, roadway and parking lot improvements, master planning open space areas, curb and gutter improvements, and infrastructure consulting.
Residential & Commercial
Provost & Pritchard has the capability to provide turnkey assistance to the development community. Our planning and engineering staff offer a wide range of interrelated experience. We can customize a project team with the expertise required to meet every aspect of your project needs and develop your project from conceptual and preliminary ideas through to the final plans, including local land use entitlement and approval processes, post-approval civil design engineering, pre-construction permitting and concluding with construction management.
Parrish Hansen Structural Engineers is the in-house division of Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group responsible for providing structural engineering services throughout California. Since 1980, Parrish Hansen has specialized in providing structural engineering consulting services to architects, contractors, developers, owners and governmental agencies.
The firm’s experience includes a wide variety of project types including commercial, industrial, governmental, public school, hospital and residential projects involving the use of concrete, masonry, steel and wood materials. Quality of service and expertise in the field of structural engineering, including seismic analyses and damage evaluations, has been responsible for the firm’s excellent reputation in the design and construction industry.
BOB PARRISH, SE
JIM HANSEN, SE
GARY CARLSON, SE
ROBBY GOTTSELIG, SE
Parrish Hansen’s expertise gives them the ability to provide full service structural engineering from preliminary design studies through the closeout of the construction phase, including:
- Schematic Design
- Design Development
- Construction Documents
- Plan Check Approval
- Shop/Fabricator Document Review
- Construction Administration
In addition, as the costs and budgets change throughout the project design schedule, Parrish Hansen’s experience with ‘value engineering’ provides valuable input in assistance to prospective design changes.
Parrish Hansen’s success is due to a multitude of special skills in their area of expertise, including:
- Code knowledge and interpretive skills: Staff’s knowledge of current codes has been responsible for the firm’s position as “Consultant Plan Checker” and “Consultant Code Interpreter” for the City of Fresno since 1985.
- Complex systems design: Their capability to evaluate complex systems has been responsible for success on many unusual projects, such as the Woodward Park Library in Fresno, CA; Fresno Unified School Districts’ Webster Elementary School expansion; St. Mary’s Church in Sanger, CA and the roof truss system evaluation and remediation for People’s Church, Fresno, CA. In many cases, projects have included extremely unusual and complex entry structures that require significant skill in computer modeling for the determination of cambering of steel and wood structures for deflection control.
- Value engineering: Computer applications abilities have allowed them to establish an excellent reputation with architects and contractors. Evaluation of optional structural systems in the schematic design phase of a project has proven to be a great asset to budget control and structural compatibility with other systems requirements on the project.
- Drawing production: Their capabilities in applying Computer Automated Design/Drafting systems, along with their inter-office development of CADD and REVIT 3-D applications have given them a reputation of producing the highest quality construction documents in the industry. Architects and contractors are consistently commenting on the quality and accuracy of their drawings and how complete and readable they are.
Environmental Consulting Services
Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group has been providing environmental consulting services for over 30 years. Our environmental assessors, geologists, hydrogeologists, and environmental professionals provide a full spectrum of environmental consulting services and have expertise with Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESA), Phase II site investigations for soil groundwater, lead and asbestos surveys, indoor air quality investigations, and remedial investigations, and site cleanups for private and public agency clients.
Our staff have conducted hundreds of Phase I ESAs and have significant experience with Phase II site assessment for a wide range of facilities including dry cleaners, agricultural chemical and remediation of chlorinated solvents, heavy metals, gasoline, and agricultural chemicals including pesticides. With our environmental expertise, our staff is able to walk our clients step-by-step through the environmental process, from the initial assessment, through the remediation, and eventually to site closure.
Phase I & Phase II Assessment Services
- Phase I: Environmental Site assessments due diligence studies for Commercial, Agricultural, and other property transactions , adhering to ASTM E1527 and EPA All Appropriate Inquires (AAI) standards.
- Phase II: Phase II reports focus on assessing the presence or absence of environmental impacts to the subsurface of a site from legacy contaminants including petroleum hydrocarbons, chlorinated solvents, heavy metals, agricultural chemicals and emerging contaminates such as TCP, PFOS, others. Our staff are experts in developing Sampling and Analysis Plans, remedial investigations, human health risk assessments, groundwater monitoring plans, groundwater monitoring well installation, annual and quarterly monitoring and reporting, asbestos containing building materials and lead based paint surveys, vapor intrusion and indoor air sampling, and environmental compliance.
Site Cleanup and Risk Assessments
- Site remediation of soil and groundwater; water, soils, and air risk-based site closure; underground fuel tank cleanups; pond closures. Specialist with chlorinated solvents, agrichemicals, heavy metals, hydrocarbons (gasoline and diesel fuels).
Environmental Compliance Services
- Facility Permit review
- Land use Covenants
- Preliminary Endangerment Assessments (PEA for schools)
- Voluntary Cleanup Programs
- Report of Waste Discharge Development and Monitoring
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP)
- Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plans
- Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBP)
- Monitoring and reporting Programs
- Geohydrologic studies
- Air permitting
Roof Consulting & Design
T. Brooks & Associates is the in-house division of Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group with more than 50 years of experience as professional roofing consultants. They have conducted assessments on thousands of roofs of various types, including both low and steep-slope roof configurations. In addition, they have prepared technical specifications and drawings for numerous reroofing projects, including metal, single-ply, built-up and modified asphalt, foam and asphalt shingle systems. These have included buildings such as nuclear power plants, utility facilities, schools, hospitals and historic structures as well as industrial, commercial and residential structures.
Roof Consulting services include:
- Roof System Failure Investigations to assist in determining causes of premature roof failure
- Evaluations to assess the current condition of a roof, estimate its remaining serviceable life, and provide a detailed report with photographs of observed conditions and defects
- Development of drawings, specifications and contract documents necessary for reroof projects
- Assessments to determine the best roof option(s) for each building based on a variety of factors
- Quality Assurance Observation during construction phase of Re-Roof Projects
- Preparation of Roof Management Programs to help clients budget and prepare for future reroofs
- Preventive Maintenance Programs to help extend the serviceable life of an existing roof system
- Litigation support in legal cases
Provost & Pritchard uses geographic information systems (GIS) to integrate different types of spatial data to create useful information for our clients. Our GIS specialists perform analysis and data queries, develop maps and other visualization tools with “intelligent data,” and turn historic data into useful information for modern needs. Information from CAD drawings, global positioning system (GPS) surveys, spreadsheets, aerial photography, and other sources can be combined in GIS for visualization and analysis.
Our staff and clients are using GIS to:
- Create agricultural and municipal facilities maps
- Make informed decisions
- Improve facilities management
- Support environmental documentation
- Centralize information
- Save time and resources
- Easily retrieve and display information
- Perform detailed analyses
- Enhance community planning efforts
Provost & Pritchard’s planners know how things work on both sides of the counter. We provide services to public and private clients in three main practice areas: Environmental Planning & Permitting, Community Planning & Design, and Local Agency Staffing. Our experience in these fundamental aspects of the planning discipline allow us to guide our clients through complex regulatory landscapes and implement the most appropriate solution for each project.
Provost & Pritchard’s present and past performance demonstrate that our team is well-qualified to provide an outstanding level of service to our clients.
Environmental Planning & Review
- Preparation and peer review of CEQA and NEPA documents
- In-house technical expertise and support, including air quality modeling, biological surveys and wetland delineations, geological and soils analysis, hazards and hazardous materials testing and remediation, hydrological studies, traffic analysis, water quality testing, and water supply assessments
- Regulatory consultation and permit facilitation through local, regional, State, and federal agencies
- Mitigation monitoring and compliance
Community Planning & Design
- General plans, community plans, and specific plans
- Zoning and subdivision ordinances
- Subdivision and site plan design
- Special planning and related studies and reports
- Graphic design and informational materials
- Community outreach planning and facilitation
Local Agency Staffing
- Review and processing of planning and development applications
- Staff report, resolution, and ordinance preparation and presentation
- Day-to-day planning and development department management and operations
- Staff liaison to committees and community groups.
- Municipal service reviews, annexations, and special district boundary adjustments
Sound engineering requires reliable field information. Provost & Pritchard’s surveying staff includes professional land surveyors, CAD technicians and geographic information system (GIS) specialists, all focused on making a strong connection between the real world and project design, assuring that each project meets the needs and standards of our clients.
Our firm’s field crews are equipped with accurate conventional and global positioning system (GPS) surveying equipment, which allows them to gather precise information in a quick and cost-effective way. From field to design to construction stake-out, Provost & Pritchard offers complete surveying and engineering solutions.
- Topographic surveys
- Construction staking
- Records of Survey
- Legal descriptions
- Horizontal and vertical control networks
- Aerial photogrammetric survey coordination
- GPS surveys (RTK, Fast Static, CORS)
- Parcel maps
- Parcel map waivers
- Parcel line adjustments
- Subdivision maps
- Elevation certificates
- ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys
- High definition surveying/terrestrial lidar/reality capture
Turning finished drawings and specifications into a completed project can be difficult, complex and time-consuming. Provost & Pritchard´s staff works to see that our client´s projects will be constructed correctly while remaining cost-effective. Providing a comprehensive construction services team is our recommended formula to see your project come to successful fruition.
Provost & Pritchard’s experienced construction managers are ready to provide construction management and review assistance during every step of the construction process. Our experienced staff has a broad array of expertise that includes, but not limited to, the following project types:
- Agricultural water structures
- Lift stations
- Wastewater treatment plants
- Water storage tanks
- Water treatment plants
- Pumping plants
- Commercial developments
- Bid process support
- Constructability reviews
- Contract document preparation
- Contractor pre-qualifications
- Dry utility coordination
- Pre-construction support
- Project closeout
- Project management & construction observations
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) monitoring
Provost & Pritchard provides a full range of biological and permitting consulting services for public and private clients throughout California. Our staff has experience conducting biological resource surveys in support of CEQA and NEPA documents and regulatory permitting compliance, as further described below. Field studies are conducted by qualified biologists to ensure data accuracy and objectivity in analysis. Our capabilities allow us to provide superior value and achieve our client’s goals through the highest quality biological and permitting services.
- Biological reconnaissance surveys
- Habitat assessments
- Protocol-level surveys for special status plant and animal species
- Aquatic resources delineations
- Tree inventories, mapping, monitoring, and reporting
- Mitigation and monitoring plans
- Revegetation plans, monitoring, and reporting
- Construction monitoring and reporting
- Pre-construction surveys
- Nesting bird surveys and nest monitoring
- US Army Corps of Engineers Jurisdictional Determinations and permitting (Section 10 and 404)
- Regional Water Quality Control Board permitting: Section 401 Certification, Waste Discharge Requirements and Waivers
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Lake and Streambed Alteration Notifications (Section 1602)
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Section 7 Consultations
Provost & Pritchard provides a full range of services to the national parks throughout the western United States. Our work has spanned throughout the Pacific West Regions 8, 9, 10 and 12 and Intermountain Regions 6, 7, 8, along with portions of 5 and 9. Our assignments have included civil designs, hazardous waste studies, permitting, Hantavirus protocols, ADA compliance, and construction management and inspections support for maintenance and restoration efforts to historic and contemporary structures and facilities, including Mission 66 Structures. The range of projects for which Provost & Pritchard has provided services includes: small water systems to major wastewater treatment plants; one-lane entrance kiosks and stations to large multi-lane entrance stations with complex traffic patterns; and, major renovations of historic structures in mountainous areas to historic structures in desert environments.
Our experience includes work in more than 20 parks. We understand and have the expertise in the Denver Service Center workflows and National Park Service standards.
An example of services that have been provided for the National Park Service include:
- General civil engineering
- Land surveying and GIS
- Planning and development using Suitability and Fire resiliency standards
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Water supply, distribution, and sewer collection
- Storm Water Plans (SWPPP), stability measures and implementation
- Drainage and flooding
- Structural engineering design and forensic assessments
- Construction management and administrative services
- Hydrogeologic assessment for landsides, debris flow and hydrothermal activity
- Environmental engineering, hazardous waste assessment, site assessments, remediation, and compliance
- CEQA and NEPA compliance
- Biological and arborist services
- Transportation and traffic engineering
The map below showcases all locations where Provost & Pritchard has provided professional solutions for the National Park Service.
Caves & Tunnels
Provost & Pritchard’s Caves & Tunnels Team offers consultation and engineering services for wine cave, tunnel and alternative underground structure design and construction. Our engineers and geologists have worked on teams with owners, architects, building structural engineers and contractors on more than 350 wine cave and winery building projects in Napa County, Sonoma County, San Luis Obispo County and elsewhere; and have worked with many Irrigation Districts, Water Agencies and Hydroelectric Projects on evaluation of infrastructure, design and construction management of rehabilitation projects, and design and construction of new tunnel projects over the past 30 years.
Services provided by our Caves and Tunnels Team include:
- Site feasibility
- Consultation and preliminary schematic design
- Site subsurface investigations
- Geostructural engineering
- Design engineering for permiting and construction
- Engineering oversight/construction management during construction
Value Driven Approach
Provost & Pritchard’s typical approach to a cave and tunnel project is to work the project in phases. Our initial consultation phase helps determine the site and project constraints, assists with developing conceptual design of the project, and engages with other consultants on the team or assists with building the client’s team. After our initial phase and development of the project and scope, we provide subsurface investigation and reporting, and design of tunnels and portals in support of permit submittals. Additional work includes engineering services during construction that include performing geologic and engineering observations/tests, materials testing and special inspections during construction , addressing geotechnical/geostructural engineering and design issues during construction, and help the team facilitate a well-constructed project.
Join Our Team
Looking to take your career to new depths? Join our team!