Provost & Pritchard provides engineering and consulting solutions for the needs of water and irrigation districts, and municipal agencies throughout California. We specialize in funding assistance, feasibility studies, design and construction services for water treatment, pipelines, storage facilities, water transfers, groundwater banking, modernization and conservation projects.
Water resources-related specialty areas include:
- Funding Application Assistance
- District Engineering & Management
Funding Application Assistance
Provost & Pritchard staff has been successful in preparing and securing funding for its clients over the years. The amount of funds we have obtained for water districts and private water companies, are in the tens of millions of dollars. Grant writing and administration has been a hallmark of the services that Provost & Pritchard provides. Our staff is skilled at matching client’s needs with funding opportunities. This unique ability has provided a high success rate in securing funding for municipal and agriculture infrastructure projects.
Provost & Pritchard provides sound engineering solutions to municipalities and other public agencies for their infrastructure needs. Serving as a consultant or extension of staff, we understand the challenges facing public works departments and have helped clients on a variety of successful projects.
Public works-related specialty areas include:
- Funding Application Assistance
- Water (Wells, Treatment, Pipelines, Metering, Storage)
- Wastewater (Treatment & Disposal, Collection Systems, Regulatory Permitting)
- Streets and Trails
- Storm Water (Collection, Reuse/Recharge)
On-call Engineering Services Overview
Provost & Pritchard has an extensive history of providing on-call services to cities, counties, and districts throughout the San Joaquin Valley. Small agencies have a need for engineering support just as large agencies do; however, the needs of small agencies often varies over time and their limited budgets don’t allow for hiring of staff engineers. As part of our on-call services contracts, Provost & Pritchard staff acts as an extension of agency staff, developing relationships and an understanding of their unique communities and needs. The services provided vary depending on the needs of the agencies and we are able to draw on our collective experiences with all our partnering agencies to serve each one well.
Funding Application Assistance
Grant writing and administration is a hallmark service provided by Provost & Pritchard. Our staff is skilled at matching client’s needs with funding opportunities. This unique ability has provided a high success rate in securing funding for municipal infrastructure projects, including water, wastewater and roads projects. In addition, we provide grand administration services including reporting and reimbursement claim preparation.
While Provost & Pritchard offers a broad range of engineering and consulting services, our water treatment group are among the most qualified in the nation to treat a wide range of contaminants in groundwater. Since 2014, the team has worked on more than 50 groundwater treatment plant designs and studies including projects involving design of iron assisted coagulation-filtration and adsorptive media for the removal of arsenic, ion exchange for the removal of uranium, and dozens of GAC treatment plants to mitigate TCP and other Volatile or Synthetic Organic Compounds. Our Water Treatment team has helped communities across the California mitigate the following contaminants so they may supply safe, reliable drinking water:
- Hexavalent Chromium
- Hydrogen Sulfide
- 1,2,3-trichloropropane (TCP)
- 1,2-dibromo-3-chlororopropane (DBCP)
- Trichloroethylene (TCE)
- Perchloroethylene (PCE)
- Total Organic Carbon / Disinfection Byproducts
Agricultural & Dairy
California’s agricultural industry is a world leader in food and fiber production. Provost & Pritchard is proud to provide agricultural engineering and consulting to support dairymen, growers, ranchers, and food processors throughout California’s heartland.
With a soil scientist and agronomist, certified crop advisor, and registered agricultural engineers on staff, Provost & Pritchard has the qualifications and capability to provide the necessary guidance and expertise on ag-related issues. As a company, we have the knowledge and experience to assist with what is needed, from practical considerations to regulatory assistance. We have valuable on-farm experience as well as good relationships with regulators and decision makers. Some of the services we provide include:
- Nutrient management
- On-farm sediment and erosion control
- Irrigation water management
- Regulatory compliance regarding the Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (ILRP) and the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
From permitting to full dairy design and layout, Provost & Pritchard staff understands that meeting federal, state and local regulations is critical to success in today’s dairy industry. Regulatory requirements from the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board, air districts and counties have caused the need for expertise to facilitate the design of a dairy. We have that broad range of expertise and experience, and can help.
Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group understands the complex interaction of governmental and environmental regulations, neighborhood considerations and site conditions in today’s land development arena. We will provide you with professional services and strategies born of successful efforts in many jurisdictions, helping you keep your project on track. Services include:
- Land and infrastructure master planning
- Residential and commercial site development
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Entitlements and permitting
- Land surveying and mapping
- Infrastructure engineering
- Water supply assessments
- Construction management
Staff at Provost & Pritchard have developed a niche partnering with health care entities to improve their campuses. Our services have included site development for new buildings and building expansions, roadway and parking lot improvements, master planning open space areas, curb and gutter improvements, and infrastructure consulting.
Residential & Commercial
Provost & Pritchard has the capability to provide turnkey assistance to the development community. Our planning and engineering staff offer a wide range of interrelated experience. We can customize a project team with the expertise to meet every aspect of your project needs and develop your project from conceptual and preliminary ideas through to the final plans, including local land use entitlement and approval processes, post-approval civil design engineering, pre-construction permitting and concluding with construction management.
Parrish Hansen Structural Engineers is the in-house division of Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group responsible for providing structural engineering services throughout California. Since 1980, Parrish Hansen has specialized in providing structural engineering consulting services to architects, contractors, developers, owners and governmental agencies.
The firm’s experience includes a wide variety of project types including commercial, industrial, governmental, public school, hospital and residential projects involving the use of concrete, masonry, steel and wood materials. Quality of service and expertise in the field of structural engineering, including seismic analyses and damage evaluations, has been responsible for the firm’s excellent reputation in the design and construction industry.
Parrish Hansen’s expertise gives them the ability to provide full service structural engineering from preliminary design studies through the closeout of the construction phase, including:
- Schematic Design
- Design Development
- Construction Documents
- Plan Check Approval
- Shop/Fabricator Document Review
- Construction Administration
In addition, as the costs and budgets change throughout the project design schedule, Parrish Hansen’s experience with ‘value engineering’ provides valuable input in assistance to prospective design changes.
Parrish Hansen’s success is due to a multitude of special skills in their area of expertise, including:
- Code knowledge and interpretive skills: Staff’s knowledge of current codes has been responsible for the firm’s position as “Consultant Plan Checker” and “Consultant Code Interpreter” for the City of Fresno since 1985.
- Complex systems design: Their capability to evaluate complex systems has been responsible for success on many unusual projects, such as the Woodward Park Library in Fresno, CA; Fresno Unified School Districts’ Webster Elementary School expansion; St. Mary’s Church in Sanger, CA and the roof truss system evaluation and remediation for People’s Church, Fresno, CA. In many cases, projects have included extremely unusual and complex entry structures that require significant skill in computer modeling for the determination of cambering of steel and wood structures for deflection control.
- Value engineering: Computer applications abilities have allowed them to establish an excellent reputation with architects and contractors. Evaluation of optional structural systems in the schematic design phase of a project has proven to be a great asset to budget control and structural compatibility with other systems requirements on the project.
- Drawing production: Their capabilities in applying Computer Automated Design/Drafting systems, along with their inter-office development of CADD and REVIT 3-D applications have given them a reputation of producing the highest quality construction documents in the industry. Architects and contractors are consistently commenting on the quality and accuracy of their drawings and how complete and readable they are.
Provost & Pritchard Consulting Group’s environmental assessors, geologists, hydrogeologists, and environmental engineers have extensive experience in environmental assessments, remedial investigations, and action plans for private and public agency clients. Our staff has conducted hundreds of Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) and has significant experience with Phase II and III ESAs associated with the remediation of gasoline and diesel, as well as pesticides and chlorinated solvents. With our environmental expertise, our staff is able to walk our clients step-by-step through the environmental process, from the initial assessment, through the remediation, and eventually to project close-out.
Phase I & Phase II Assessment Services
- Phase I: Property transfer studies, Brownfields studies, EPA All Appropriate Inquires (AAI), due diligence under CERCLA
- Phase II: Sampling and Analysis Plan, remedial investigations, corrective action plans, human health
- Risk assessments, ecological risk screening, groundwater monitoring plans, groundwater monitoring well installation, annual and quarterly monitoring and reporting, asbestos containing building materials and lead based paint surveys, vapor intrusion and indoor air sampling, and environmental compliance.
- Phase III: Site remediation of soil and groundwater; water, soils and air risk-based site closure; underground fuel tank cleanups; pond closures. Specialist with chlorinated solvents, agrichemicals, heavy metals, hydrocarbons (gasoline and diesel fuels).
- Preliminary Endangerment Assessments (PEA for schools)
- Voluntary Cleanup Program
- Report of Waste Discharge
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP)
- Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plans
- Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBP)
- Monitoring and reporting
- DTSC SB-14 and Parts B permits
- Geohydrologic studies
- Air permitting
- Authority to Construct (ATC)
- Permit to Operate (PTO)
Provost & Pritchard uses geographic information systems (GIS) to integrate different types of spatial data to create useful information for our clients. Our GIS specialists perform analysis and data queries, develop maps and other visualization tools with “intelligent data,” and turn historic data into useful information for modern needs. Information from CAD drawings, global positioning system (GPS) surveys, spreadsheets, aerial photography, and other sources can be combined in GIS for visualization and analysis.
Our staff and clients are using GIS to:
- Create agricultural and municipal facilities maps
- Make informed decisions
- Improve facilities management
- Support environmental documentation
- Centralize information
- Save time and resources
- Easily retrieve and display information
- Perform detailed analyses
- Enhance community planning efforts
Provost & Pritchard’s planners know how things work on both sides of the counter. We provide services to public and private clients in two main practice areas: Environmental Compliance & Permitting and Community Planning & Design. Our experience in these two fundamental aspects of the planning discipline allows us to guide our clients through complex regulatory landscapes and implement the most appropriate solution for each project.
Provost & Pritchard’s present and past performance demonstrate that our team is well-qualified to provide an outstanding level of service to our clients.
Environmental Planning & Review
- Preparation and peer review of CEQA and NEPA documents
- In-house technical expertise and support, including air quality modeling, biological surveys and wetland delineations, geological and soils analysis, hazards and hazardous materials testing and remediation, hydrological studies, traffic analysis, water quality testing, and water supply assessments
- Regulatory consultation and permit facilitation through local, regional, State, and federal agencies
- Mitigation monitoring and compliance
Community Planning & Design
- General plans, community plans, and specific plans
- Zoning and subdivision ordinances
- Local agency contract staffing
- Annexations and municipal service reviews
- Entitlement processing
- Subdivision and site plan design
- Graphic design and educational resources
Sound engineering requires reliable field information. Provost & Pritchard’s surveying staff includes professional land surveyors, CAD technicians and geographic information system (GIS) specialists, all focused on making a strong connection between the real world and project design, assuring that each project meets the needs and standards of our clients.
Our firm’s field crews are equipped with accurate conventional and global positioning system (GPS) surveying equipment, which allows them to gather precise information in a quick and cost-effective way. From field to design to construction stake-out, Provost & Pritchard offers complete surveying and engineering solutions.
- Topographic surveys
- Construction staking
- Records of Survey
- Legal descriptions
- Horizontal and vertical control networks
- Aerial photogrammetric survey coordination
- GPS surveys (RTK, Fast Static, CORS)
- Parcel maps
- Parcel map waivers
- Parcel line adjustments
- Subdivision maps
- Elevation certificates
- ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys
- High definition surveying/terrestrial lidar/reality capture
Turning finished drawings and specifications into a completed project can be difficult, complex and time-consuming. Provost & Pritchard´s staff works to see that our client´s projects will be constructed correctly while remaining cost-effective. Providing a comprehensive construction services team is our recommended formula to see your project come to successful fruition.
Provost & Pritchard’s experienced construction managers are ready to provide construction management and review assistance during every step of the construction process. Our experienced staff has a broad array of expertise that includes, but not limited to, the following project types:
- Agricultural water structures
- Lift stations
- Wastewater treatment plants
- Water storage tanks
- Water treatment plants
- Pumping plants
- Commercial developments
- Bid process support
- Constructability reviews
- Contract document preparation
- Contractor pre-qualifications
- Dry utility coordination
- Pre-construction support
- Project closeout
- Project management & construction observations
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) monitoring
Provost & Pritchard provides a full range of biological consulting services for public and private clients throughout California. Our staff has experience conducting biological resources assessment surveys in support of CEQA and NEPA documents, habitat assessments, special status plant and animal surveys, and aquatic resources delineations, among countless other services. Our team conducts preliminary research in order to determine a project’s survey requirements and manages project permitting while coordinating with applicable regulatory agencies and the client. Field studies are conducted by qualified biologists to ensure data accuracy and objectivity in analysis. Our capabilities allow us to provide the highest quality biological documentation, resources mapping, and project management in a timely fashion.
- Biological reconnaissance surveys
- Habitat assessments
- Protocol-level surveys for special status plant and animal species
- Aquatic resources delineations
- ISA Certified Arborist® services, including tree health and risk assessments, tree inventories, mapping, monitoring, and reporting
- Mitigation and monitoring plans
- Revegetation plans, monitoring, and reporting
- Construction monitoring and reporting
- Pre-construction surveys
- Nesting bird surveys and nest monitoring
- USACE Jurisdictional Determinations and permitting (Section 10 and 404)
- RWQCB permitting (Section 401)
- CDFW Lake and Streambed Alteration Notifications (Section 1602)
Provost & Pritchard provides a full range of services to the national parks throughout the western United States. Our work has spanned throughout the Pacific West Regions 8, 9, 10 and 12 and Intermountain Regions 6, 7, 8, along with portions of 5 and 9. Our assignments have included civil designs, hazardous waste studies, permitting, Hantavirus protocols, ADA compliance, and construction management and inspections support for maintenance and restoration efforts to historic and contemporary structures and facilities, including Mission 66 Structures. The range of projects for which Provost & Pritchard has provided services includes: small water systems to major wastewater treatment plants; one-lane entrance kiosks and stations to large multi-lane entrance stations with complex traffic patterns; and, major renovations of historic structures in mountainous areas to historic structures in desert environments.
Our experience includes work in more than 20 parks. We understand and have the expertise in the Denver Service Center workflows and National Park Service standards.
An example of services that have been provided for the National Park Service include:
- General civil engineering
- Land surveying and GIS
- Planning and development using Suitability and Fire resiliency standards
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Water supply, distribution, and sewer collection
- Storm Water Plans (SWPPP), stability measures and implementation
- Drainage and flooding
- Structural engineering design and forensic assessments
- Construction management and administrative services
- Hydrogeologic assessment for landsides, debris flow and hydrothermal activity
- Environmental engineering, hazardous waste assessment, site assessments, remediation, and compliance
- CEQA and NEPA compliance
- Biological and arborist services
- Transportation and traffic engineering
The map below showcases all locations where Provost & Pritchard has provided professional solutions for the National Park Service.