External Affairs Specialist
Pay Range: $30.00 – $40.00/hr.
Provost & Pritchard is seeking an individual to join our growing team and support public affairs and communications programs. Effective communication is an essential part of water resources management. We help public and private organizations tell their stories and engage key stakeholders to build trust, develop sustainable behavior, and deliver value to agencies and the public. In this role, you will work with irrigation districts, groundwater sustainability agencies, municipalities, and communities to meet today’s water management challenges, leading agriculture and surrounding communities to a more sustainable future. The right person will understand the role that storytelling and stakeholder engagement plays in achieving the objectives of water resources programs. Duties will include the development and execution of strategies that inform, educate, and engage key stakeholders across a range of water resources programs, and related projects.
- Assists in developing and implementing comprehensive strategic public communications and engagement plans to further agencies’ larger organizational objectives.
- Assists in conducting campaign research to identify effective strategies and messaging with target audiences.
- Assists in the proactive development of campaign tactics that inform, educate, and foster sustainable behavior.
- Responsible for development, collection, and distribution of print and digital communications content to target audiences, including, not limited to, members of the public, governmental agencies, elected officials, non-governmental organizations, and environmental justice groups.
- Responsible for tracking and analyzing key metrics for improved user experience and to measure campaign effectiveness.
- Responsible for development, collection and distribution of materials and presentations to be used in outreach programs and events as well as presenting before small and large groups.
- Manages planning and facilitation of community and/or stakeholder engagement events, including working with vendors, community partners, non-governmental agencies, and governmental agencies.
- Manages agencies’ online presence through digital content development across websites and social media channels to deliver key campaign and ongoing communications messaging to the public and key stakeholders.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, public relations, political science, English, or demonstrated experience commensurate with the requirements of the position.
- Three to five years of experience in community outreach, public relations, public affairs and media relations.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite Software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro), Acrobat applications, WordPress website editor, and ConstantContact email marketing. Strong knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel are required. Prior work experience in Office 365 environment required. Familiarity with GoogleAnalytics, SiteGround, and ArcGIS StoryMaps is a plus.
- Excellent listening and oral communication skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work independently, use professional judgment and initiative.
- Able to work in a team environment and interact with professionals of all levels.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage difficult, stressful situations.
- Versatility – able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.