GIS Summer Intern
Provost & Pritchard is looking for people with an interest and passion for GIS projects in water resources in California. Our collaborative team environment is perfect for driven, self-starter looking for a full-time paid summer internship. Candidate may be considered for an ongoing position following the summer internship.
To be considered for the position, candidates must demonstrate they knowledgeable of relational databases (MS Access or SQL), able to process numeric and string data using formulas, have experience in agriculture, environmental studies, water resources, or civil engineering, and have a data science background. They must have a willingness to work and assist GIS Specialists and Project Managers by performing GIS mapping and data processing. Candidates must also show their ability to be client service orientated and have excellent oral and written skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include: (Other job-related duties may be assigned.)
- Create, maintain, and organize GIS data under the supervision of Specialist or Project Manager.
- Create and format tabular data for integration into GIS, preferably with MS Excel and MS Access.
- Problem solve and trouble shoot to help answer questions under guidance of GIS Specialist
- Review GIS data supplied by agencies, vendors, clients, surveyors and engineers.
- Perform simple spatial data queries and geoprocessing of spatial data.
- Research GIS data sources via online portals or phone research.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Must have completed academic work or working towards a Bachelor’s degree
- Proven proficiency in MS Excel
- 1 year experience using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.x (including course work)
Attributes of a Successful Candidate:
- Ability to learn quickly
- Basic knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) including basic cartography and table manipulation.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite) with the ability to learn new methods and programs quickly from colleagues
- Attention to detail of map elements and layouts.
- Ability to convert data in different formats.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Client service oriented.
- Ability to follow directions and work independently on assigned tasks.
- Knowledge of and interest in geographic data and geography.
- Basic math skills, including basic spatial statistics and analysis.
- Willing to incorporate feedback into work product and meet company graphic standards.
- Conceptual understanding of different coordinate systems and ability to troubleshoot.