Scientist/ Ag Data Analyst
A variety of technical backgrounds may be a good fit for this position, including but not limited to soil scientists, environmental scientists, agricultural scientists, and agricultural or environmental data analysts. Specific responsibilities of this position will be refined based upon the applicant’s education, experience, and interests.
The focus of this position will be data management and analysis of large agricultural datasets using Python and RStudio. In collaboration with others, approximately 25+ hours per week will be spent on data wrangling and writing and modifying existing scripts and functions to support project activities.
The person in this position will be a technical consultant to multiple agricultural client types including agricultural organizations, nonprofits, public agencies, farmers, food processers, wineries, and others in the Central Valley and Central Coast of California. Support will be provided to project managers and clients implementing point and nonpoint source regulatory programs such as the Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (ILRP), individual Waste Discharge Requirements (WDRs), the Winery General Order, and possibly others.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (ILRP)
- General consulting to agricultural water quality coalitions and individual growers implementing the ILRP in the Central Coast and Central Valley of California.
- Data Manager:
- Management and analysis of grower-reported farming data, such as nitrogen use, crop yield, crop nitrogen removal, irrigation, crop evapotranspiration, and management practices.
- Summarization of information into technical reports via summary statistics, histograms, box and whisker plots, bar graphs, time series plots, scatterplots, etc.
- Data exploration to identify trends and effects.
- Coordination with database managers on data pipeline processes.
- Work collaboratively with teams of 3 to 12 other professionals.
Wastewater and Land Application Regulatory Compliance
- General regulatory compliance support related to the following items:
- Land application of wastewater, solids, manure, byproducts, biosolids, compost, etc., and related irrigation/nutrient/salinity management planning.
- Data collection and management (e.g., flow meter readings, irrigation records, water and wastewater quality, soil, crop tissue, etc.).
- Evaluate detailed soil-water, nutrient, and salt loading balances via Microsoft Excel and scripts.
- Field work including soil, water, vadose zone, crop, and well sampling.
- Development of monitoring reports and wastewater discharge permit documents.
- B.S. or M.S. in a relevant science, engineering, geology, or environmental field.
- Background and passion for agriculture, agricultural data, and the nexus with water quality.
- Proficiency and/or ability to develop skills in some of the following data management and analysis skills:
- Microsoft Office 365, specifically Excel programming.
- Demonstrated experience and continued interest in data analysis and visualization using the programming languages Python and R/RStudio.
- Other experience with programming languages such as SQL, VisualBasic, and/or Matlab is also a plus, but not required.
Entry to Intermediate
Preferred: Visalia, CA (on-site); other offices negotiable